Should You Legally Change Your Name?
There are many situations and life events that may cause you to consider legally changing your name. Often a name change helps start a new chapter in your life. As a Gwinnett County name change attorney for over twenty years, Doug Lewis can help you save time and headaches in navigating the rules and laws of the State of Georgia to get your name properly and legally changed.
7 Top Reasons to Legally Change Your Name
Below are seven (7) popular reasons to change your name:
- Change your name so that it appears the same on all of your important documents (passport, driver's license, social security card, etc);
- Change your name because you have just never liked it;
- Change your name to take your spouse or loved one's surname;
- Change your name after you have been divorced;
- Change your name to honor your heritage, ethnicity or for religious reasons; and
- Change your name to honor a step-parent or other person that has been special in your life; and,
- Create a new last name for both you and your spouse by hyphenating your surnames.
There certainly are other reasons that you may have for wanting to change your name, however, the law does specifically prohibit you from changing your name for the purpose of fraud.
Regardless of the reason for your name change Doug Lewis will work hard to ensure that every step of the process is handled correctly and in a timely manner in order to get your name legally changed as soon as possible.
The Name Change Process in Gwinnett County
Please refer to my previous article on the process of legally changing your name in Gwinnett County.
If you live in Gwinnett County or in the Metro-Atlanta area and are considering a name change for one of the above-reasons or for any other legal reason please contact Douglas W. Lewis at 770-682-3765 or via email at [email protected] for a free initial phone consultation. Our office is located at 154 Stone Mountain Street, Lawrenceville, GA 30046. Client reviews can be found on Mr. Lewis' Google page, Avvo page, and on his website.
Doug Lewis is a Lawrenceville-based Family Law attorney who for over twenty years has handled cases involving divorce, legitimation, paternity and child custody, name changes, personal injury, criminal defense, juvenile court, civil litigation and estate planning matters in the Gwinnett County and Metro-Atlanta area including Barrow, Walton, Jackson, Hall, Forsyth, Dekalb, Cobb and Fulton counties.